As the investigations on the killing of Calbayog City Mayor Ronaldo Aquino continues, the slain mayor’s son revealed that he had been receiving death threats for investigating his father’s death.
In a radio interview, Mark Aquino disclosed that he had received reports that a certain policeman involved in the incident had said that he will follow his father to the grave.
“I’ve received a report that a police officer involved in the operation said that I would be next, in order maybe to demoralize the investigation,” said the younger Aquino.
The Calbayog mayor was shot at least 21 times in Barangay Lonoy, Calbayog City on March 8, in what witnesses described as an ambush but police have initially described the incident as a shootout.
Aquino noted that police officers involved in the incident were reportedly “in and out” of the police regional headquarters.
“Of course, our family is worried, especially for our security,” said Aquino, who believed his father’s slay was politically motivated.
He added that his father was on his third and last term as local chief executive and was planning to run as vice mayor in the 2022 elections.
“From what I saw, Calbayog is a vote premier in the district of Samar. Sixty percent of the voting population come from Calbayog,” Aquino said.
The police formed a special investigation task group to probe the incident that left six people dead, including the mayor. The National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) had also been tasked to look into it.