The City of San Juan is confident that the area will be Covid-free by Christmastime, thanks to the continuing current methods of coronavirus transmission prevention.
The city on October 30 restarted their aggressive target mass testing for their residents, a move Mayor Francis Zamora considered paramount. The city’s mega-swabbing facility was previously reliant on the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) free testing for local government units, via state insurer PhilHealth.
Zamora said that thanks to the PRC, they were able to test 2,000 to 3,000 people weekly.
He added that there was no need for additional antivirus measures due to the apparent downtrend of cases. In an interview, Zamora said: “Why fix it if it’s not broken, right?”
In fact, San Juan may even reach this goal even sooner than December, as active cases were reportedly mainly contained to just three barangays.
According to Zamora, the wearing of face shields and face masks ensured the attainment of this goal. He also attributed this to the residents’ discipline, strict implementation of health protocols and intensified testing, isolation and treatment.
However, Zamora noted that the downgrade to a more relaxed quarantine status—that is, from general community quarantine (GCQ) to modified GCQ—may be a possible obstacle to this goal. In his view, it is not essential that even more establishments be allowed to open.
It will be remembered that San Juan was one of the country’s first virus epicenters owing to a number of cases being traced back to the Greenhills Shopping Center several months ago.