Former vice-president and broadcast journalist Noli De Castro recently filed a COC (certificate of candidacy) for senator. Five days later, he withdrew and changed his mind. He is no longer running during the May 2022 elections, staying in the news field instead.
Prior to filing his COC, De Castro had been sworn in as a member of the party ‘Aksyon Demokratiko’. He thanked the party’s standard-bearer, Isko Moreno, for the confidence and trust placed in him by the Manila mayor.
At the media forum ‘Kapihan sa Manila Bay,’ Moreno said he was completely respectful of De Castro dropping out. “I believe and support his decision. There is a personal reason behind it, but I’m not at liberty to tell the public.”
In a statement, De Castro stated in Tagalog that after submitting his candidacy to the Commission on Elections (Comelec), his plans changed. “I’ve decided not to proceed with my candidacy.”
“Let me stress that my intentions and aspirations for the nation have not and will not change,” De Castro’s statement continues. A known devotee of Quiapo’s Black Nazarene, he realized after deep prayer that serving the Filipino people would be best done by broadcasting.
“I will continue to be the voice of our countrymen, especially in these times when that voice is drowned out by the noise of politics and power exercised for selfish interests of the few.”
De Castro also thanked the Filipino people for their outpouring of support since his announcement of resignation from ABSCBN, his home network. He had quit in order to pursue a senate bid.
Aksyon Demokratiko can name a replacement for De Castro until November 15. The party’s chairman, Ernest Ramel, says he’s still a party member despite no longer pursuing his candidacy.