THE Quezon City government has placed four new areas under special concern lockdown following an increase in the number of cases after the holiday season.
The four new lockdown areas are No. 62 Agno Extension in Barangay Tatalon; No. 1 Salary Street in Barangay Sangandaan; No. 54 Interior, Magsalin Street in Barangay Apolonio Samson; and 9C, 9D, 97 La Felonila Street in Barangay Damayang Lagi, increasing the total number of lockdown areas to six.
The City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CESU) imposed special concern lockdowns in areas where clustering and possible community transmission have been observed, in order to curtail the further spread of the virus.
“These granular lockdowns are our immediate and proactive response to control the situation in these areas. Since last year, our special concern lockdowns have been proven effective in controlling the spread of the disease among neighbors and families,” Mayor Joy Belmonte said.
Some 60 families are affected in the Agno Extension in Barangay Tatalon, while Salary street in Barangay Sangandaan has five families under strict quarantine.
On Magsalin street, CESU has identified 14 index cases with 60 families under lockdown, while 150 families are affected along La Felonila Street.
“All families in these areas will undergo swab testing in order to identify other infected individuals. However, even if they tested negative, all will still have to finish the 14-day mandatory quarantine period to check if they will develop any symptoms during the said period,” CESU head Dr. Rolly Cruz said.
The MCP Homeowners Association and a portion of the Pingkian 1, Central B in Barangay Pasong Tamo have been under special concern lockdown as well since January 7 and January 14, respectively.
At least 48 individuals in MCP HOA have undergone swab testing and all tested negative.
The city government is providing all families under quarantine with food packs and other necessities. DALISAY NOLASCO
Photo: Gulf News