For conducting a caravan in the city of Manila, convenors of the “Run, Sara, Run” movement returned to Davao City with Mayor Sara Duterte welcoming them with a 14 day quarantine.
The order was immediately issued by Duterte to the city’s barangay officials who took part in last week’s “Run, Sara, Run” caravan, held March 21 at the Quirino Grandstand, noting the surging cases of Covid19 in the National Capital Region (NCR) and nearby provinces.
“I told them not to push through with their activity because of the surge of cases in Manila and Cebu and it is very dangerous for them and for the people of Davao City because they might be a possible carrier of the virus,” said Mayor Sara in a radio interview.
Barangay 23-C chairman Alimoden Usman, the campaign convenor, said the March 21 caravan aimed to amplify their calls for Mayor Duterte to run in next year’s presidential race while raising public awareness to gain more support for their advocacy.
“During the weekend, I reached out to them because I cannot stand it anymore. I asked them if they are fine and told them that I will send some assistance for their food and gasoline. I extended my support and told them that they will undergo quarantine when they come home in Davao,” she said.
Duterte, while expressing her opposition to the caravan, admits she was worried about the welfare of the participants.