IN an effort to cover a much wider scope that may include other frontliners like barangay officials, tanods and ordinary workers, among others, the nation’s capital has made a request to the Department of Health (DOH) to allow its inoculation program to move to the next category.
Mayor Isko Moreno announced over his live broadcast that Manila Health Department (MHD) chief Dr. Arnold “Poks” Pangan, whose office is the one leading the vaccination program under the supervision of Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna who has supervision over the city’s health cluster, has already forwarded to the DOH the application and a certification that the city is already qualified to go to the next level after meeting the minimum requirement of individuals vaccinated under the A3 category of persons aged 18 to 59 with comorbidities.
Moreno explained that the city’s vaccination program has so far covered 110% of the required number, with the inoculation of over 21,000 people, which is way higher than the 100% required that is only equivalent to 19,000.
Based on the data of DOH, Moreno said a minimum of 19,000 individuals or 1% of the population of 1.9 million must be vaccinated and the city has exceeded that. In the case of A1 category, he said the city also went over the required number by inoculating 13,000.
Once the request is approved, the mayor said the city government can already go to A4, the next category in the priority list set by the national government.
The local government of Manila, with Moreno, Lacuna and Pangan on top of things, has been aggressively vaccinating those who are interested since the city rolled out its vaccination program during the first week of March.
As of April 4, the total number of individuals vaccinated in Manila has reached 43,603. Of those given the vaccine under the A3 category during the Holy Week, Moreno said 672 are policemen.