More than four years after the end of the Marawi siege, displaced residents are provided with permanent shelters – but not for all.
The housing units, built by the United Nations Human Settlements (UN Habitat) and the National Housing Authority, are to be turned over to more than 2,000 families. Many of them had houses in areas declared “no dwelling zones” or in the “most affected areas” (MAA).
However, these would not be available to family members classified as “sharers” – those who previously shared a dwelling space with their relatives.
Task Force Bangon Marawi head and housing secretary Eduardo del Rosario said that only P35k of financial aid is allotted per family for sharers, but no housing aid.
“With regard to housing, there is no money for sharers, but [they] are provided with financial assistance,” he said. “Including those vendors who rented their stalls inside (the MAA) but lost their businesses during the siege.”
This left sharers staying in transitional shelters while city restoration continues.
Two hundred fifty housing units were turned over on Oct. 15, 150 of which were built by UN Habitat with funding from the Japanese government. One hundred units were built by NHA.
The number of permanent housing built by Habitat totaled 429. These included 109 units at Hadiya Village Phase 1 in Brgy. Dulay West, 120 at Phase 2 and 50 units at Pamayandeg Ranao Residences in Brgy. Mipantao-Gadongan.
UN Habitat aims to build 910 permanent houses by the end of the year across five resettlement areas.