www.republika-online.com

Loading...

HCW groups dissatisfied with gov’t

Republika

In the year since the coronavirus pandemic took hold of the Philippines, healthcare workers (HCW) said that the government remains “slow and deaf” to their needs.


The Alliance of Health Workers (AHW) last week said this in a statement: “Looking back to what happened last year and until now, despite the prompt and sincere response of health workers to save lives and cure victims of the disease, the DOH [Department of Health] and government authorities remained extremely slow, numb and deaf in responding to the needs of health workers and patients.”


“Nothing has changed in our situation: many health workers from the regions still lack protective gear, severe understaffing in public hospitals and health facilities that lead to health workers to extend long hours of duty, low wages, over-delayed payment of miniscule and selective benefits such as actual hazard duty pay and special risk allowance,” added the organization’s president Robert Mendoza.


The AHW pointed out that there could be no improvement if the government keeps on implementing hospital budget cuts.
They also said that the first Covid19 case in the country was completely preventable, had the government only jumped on the chance to enforce travel bans.


“The first entry of Covid19 case in our country should have been avoided if the government strictly enforces a travel ban immediately so that the possible carrier of the coronavirus from China could not enter the country, and the health and safety of the people and health workers were the first priority of DOH and Duterte administration,” the statement read.


As of this writing, the country has logged 528,853 confirmed cases, 487,611 recoveries and 10,874 deaths.


Same Category

News

China claims Julian Felipe Reef

Republika
News

Philhealth owes P28B

Republika
News

MECQ in NCR+ until May 14

Republika
News

11 senators slam China over illegal WPS incursions

Republika