www.republika-online.com

Loading...

5 Manila hospitals closed to all Covid19 patients

Republika

The local chief executive of the nation’s capital Mayor Isko Moreno announced last week that five out of the six hospitals being run by the city government of Manila will no longer be accepting Covid patients after they have reached their capacity limits, even as 42 barangays have requested to be locked down amid the unprecedented increase in the number of coronavirus cases in the entire country.

Moreno bared the bad news, adding that even the remaining hospital is already nearing its maximum capacity too, along with the quarantine facilities put up by the local government, due to the rapid, continuing increase in coronavirus cases in the city.


“Ako’y di nagkulang ng paalala na darating at darating ang oras na ang ating mga Covid bed capacity ay mapupuno pagka’t marami ang symptomatic or mild and severe,” Moreno said.


The mayor added: “‘Wag tayong magtatampo kung di na kayo tatanggapin sa ospital. Lahat kami ay nagulat nang biglang lumobo. Maaari kayong magtungo sa pribadong ospital pero maging sila ay halos puno na din.”


Moreno said he and Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna, who has supervision over the city government’s health cluster being a doctor herself, held a meeting with the directors of the six city hospitals and Manila Health Department chief Dr. Arnold Pangan regarding plans to put additional Covid beds.


“Madaling magdagdag ng beds. Ang mahirap, ‘’yung medical professional na tutugon pag kayo ay nasa Covid ward dahil may kanya-kanya silang gamit lalo na ang mga infectious doctors. ‘Yan ang mga unique na sitwasyon kaya ‘di simple magdagdag,” the mayor explained.


Lacuna said that right after the mayor announced in his live broadcast that four out of the six city hospitals’ Covid beds have already become full, a report came in from the Ospital ng Tondo that it, too, already reached its capacity limit, leaving the Justice Abad Santos General Hospital (JASGH) as the last city hospital standing. JASGH is located in the third district of Manila.


According to Moreno, Lacuna and permits bureau chief Levi Facundo continue talking to owners and operators of motels and hotels in the city who may be willing to lend their establishments as quarantine facilities while they have no guests.


Moreno stressed that no matter how much the city spends, if the public do not change their bad habits of breaking minimum health protocols, all efforts by the local government will just go to waste. ANDI GARCIA

Photo: CNN Philippines


Same Category

News

China claims Julian Felipe Reef

Republika
News

Philhealth owes P28B

Republika
News

MECQ in NCR+ until May 14

Republika
News

11 senators slam China over illegal WPS incursions

Republika